Friday 14 November 2014

Health is not "Self Help" Help me...Help you

I love my job!  I love helping people (get out of pain) and to teach people how to move better and be healthier.

I am not one to brag, as many who have seen me for treatment can attest to.  However, I am good at what I do.  One of the reasons I am good at what I do is because I am constantly learning.  I consider myself an expert in the field of health.

This is why I went to school for 9 years.  This is why I have done countless hours of continuing education.  This is why I read up-to-date papers and articles on topics pertaining to health. 

I do not give advice about things that I know very little about.  I will never tell a rocket scientist how to build a better rocket.  I will never tell an engineer how to build a better bridge.  Why is it that people feel it is appropriate to offer health information when they are not in the health field? 

Just the other day, I overheard a lady lecturing numerous other people to "eat more bananas if you are getting cramps."  How can she offer this advice without knowing someone's medical history?  Or without knowing the anatomy or physiology of muscle?  Where did she get this information?  Probably something that her mother told her when she was getting muscle cramps.

A gentleman was talking to another guy about various stretches he needed to do to get rid of his back pain?  Maybe the stretching was appropriate in his case, but why is it appropriate to pass this along to other people. 

Health should not be self help.  If you do not work in the health field, please refrain from offering your opinions and advice.  My advice:  seek professional help. 

college-advice

No comments:

Post a Comment